Crime Prevention Methods
1. The neighborhood needs to be clean and look cared for. It is a proven fact that neighborhoods with yards that are not clean and kept up show a neighborhood that is not involved and does not care. It invites crime. So, keep your yard up. If a neighbor does not, and you feel comfortable talking to them do so. If you do not feel comfortable, or your talk did not work, turn them in to blight enforcement and have them help them become responsible home owners.
2. Invest in a home alarm system. If you cannot afford one purchase a sign you can put out that says you do.
3. Call 911 to report any crime or suspicious activity.
4. Lights-Lights-Lights! Leave your lights on at night in the front and back.
5. Obtain a camera system. Post a visible sign that you are video recording.
6. Know your neighbors and watch out for them.
7. Post crime alerts to the community Facebook page after you have called 911.
8. Keep your doors locked on your house and car at all times.
9. Be cautious about who you open the door for. Try to see who it is first.
10. Be careful if walking alone or at night. Always be aware of your surroundings.
A neighborhood that looks clean and has good crime prevention tactics in place makes it less of a target. Criminals do not like a lot of hassle or bigger chances of getting caught and will choose another target.
Did you know?
You can file a police report via the Coplogic page on the City of Flint website.